This is England - English wine and cheese tasting Saltaire Thursday 13th June 2024
This is England - English wine and cheese tasting Saltaire
WHEN 7pm Thursday 13th June 2024
WHAT Six fabulous English wines with three cheese pairings
TICKETS £45 PER PERSON
Limited tickets available
Great gift for wine lovers!
Why are English wines taking the world by storm? Join us to taste through exceptional sparkles, white, pink and red wines from our very own glorious vineyards.
For the past few years, the UK has been been winning international awards and seizing success by the horns.
In fact, in 2017 the wine world went into gormless shock when an English white wine from Norfolk won 'World's Best White' at the Decanter Wine Awards. As most people are unaware of English wine production, you can imagine the reaction and expression of the likes of France and Italy at this result!
Don't drink much English wine? Didn't know it existed? This is a night that is going to blow your mind!
10 reasons to come to this exciting English wine tasting
- English sparkling wine is the new Champagne! In blind tastings, England has been trouncing France in awards and accolades!
- Love New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc? British wine is for you! Be prepared for that same zesty freshness that you love so much
- Learn about the grape varieties and wine styles that make up this wine producing region so unique and delicious!
- Cheese! You will be spoilt with some of Britain's best boutique production cheeses - perfectly paired with your wines.
- You will taste an array from styles: sparkles, white, rose, red and all served with lots of education and entertainment
- It's the future of wine! Not an exaggeration. At the 2018 Sommelier Wine Awards, 3,000 wines were blind-tasted by a panel of expert judges and more gold medals went to wines from England than from France. 2018 has been heralded the vintage of the century. English wine is only going one way.
- Buckingham Palace only serves English sparkling wine at their banquets. Be like Charlie.
- Want to reduce your carbon footprint? Buy British
- Support the British farming industry and local businesses
- But asides from being patriotic, come because these wines are hot stuff!
This is one of The Drink Talking most exciting tastings of the year - don't miss out!
Of course, there shall be cheese! Like English wine, British cheeses are saluted globally as the pinnacle of perfection. You'll taste English three artisan small production cheeses from Harrogate cheese monger The Cheeseboard. These premium cheeses will be something unusual that you don't find on everyday supermarket shelves and are specifically chosen to match with two of the wines.
It can be overwhelming eyeing up the wall of wine in a supermarket or wine merchants. Have you ever bought wine based on a snazzy label or solely because it was reduced from £12 to £6? We all have! How would you like to walk into a wine shop, confidently find your favourite wines, and leave 100% satisfied?
Anyone can learn to become a wizz-kid at smelling and tasting wine, all you need is practice. I've had people tell me that 'wine just tastes like wine' to them and they have a terrible sense of smell etc, only to find themselves saying 'I really can smell elderflower' only an hour into the wine tasting. It won't be long until you are picking out 'leather', 'peaches' or 'banana' too. Like any other muscle this is just a skill to be honed and toned and you'll be amazed at what you are capable of.
One of the world's most famous wine writers, Jancis Robinson, describes wine as 'geography in a bottle' - so true! You will see so many maps, pictures of soil, weather diagrams that if you aren't already a geography buff, then you soon will be! Alongside this, you also learn about history of wine regions and the culture that goes along with it.
Have you ever loved a wine but had no idea how explain what you loved about it and why? The more you taste various styles and flavours, you'll feel confident in talking about wine with anyone.
It's easy to make pals when you have a shared interest. These wine tasting events are designed for you to feel relaxed chatting with everyone in the room and getting to know other wine lovers like yourself.
Come by yourself, with your ma, your bestie, your partner in crime, your work peeps, whoevs. All are welcome for this epic geeky wine tasting