Let’s talk drink and wine tastings
Wine educator | Vlogger | Live tastings presenter
In 2017, I founded ‘The Drink Talking’ a Leeds, UK based educational, vlog and learning platform and am widely recognised in the UK for hosting fun, upbeat wine tasting events for all levels – absolute beginners to wine experts. What really drives me is making all my customers feel engaged, included, and entertained whilst learning juicy, joyful wine knowledge.
What we do
The Drink Talking stages adventurous and educational corporate and private wine tastings served with generous helpings of humour and laughter. I also offer online wine tastings that are designed for you and your peers to have plenty of opportunities to interact with each other.
I specialise in wines from every corner of the world including fortifieds and sparkles. Gin tastings are also on my menu – choose your poison and let’s start talking about it.
How’d I get into wine? It started from the ground up in 2005 when my father planted a commercial vineyard in Nova Scotia, Canada (never heard of Nova Scotia wine? Listen to this!) Many summers have been spent in the vineyard and winery engaged in vine tucking and plucking, picking, processing, bottling and finally sipping and hosting tastings. I have also travelled widely and studied wines and regions in Australia, Spain, France and the UK. Working for a Manchester based leading independent wine merchant educated me in the retail world of wine and allowed me to begin hosting my first public wine tastings.
With a BA(Hons) Graduate in Creative Writing and a CELTA qualified teacher of English as a Foreign Language, my communication skills have been honed by living and working internationally and are the firm foundation of the down to earth teaching and presentation techniques I now use in online and face to face wine events.
In 2015 I became a qualified wine educator with The Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET) and I now travel throughout the UK, where I live, and overseas teaching WSET courses to those working in the hospitality, food and drink industry but also to anyone keen to learn more about wine.
In 2020 The Drink Talking expanded exponentially and began reaching audiences across the UK and globally via virtual tastings.
- WSET Award in Wine and Spirits Level 3 – Distinction
- WSET Award in Wine and Spirits Level 2 – Merit
- WSET Educator: Level 1 & 2
Other groovy things
- Wine communication via short video guides
- The Academy of Cheese Level 1
- Winner – Wine Tasting Events of the Year – Yorkshire, Prestige Awards 2021/22
- Nominated for the Young Wine Writer of the Year Award 2013
- Wine lover’s blog to Nova Scotia
- Presented to over 5000 guests in 2020/21 via zoom
- Built a loyal and diverse customer base of all ages and backgrounds: regular events ranging from a private membership of High Court Judges to a University Foodie Club
- Presenter for the Marks and Spencer’s member’s wine club
- Collaboration with other independents businesses (The Cheeseboard, Ake & Humphris Wine Merchants, Chef Kian Lian) to showcase the very best wine, cheese and food combinations
A few words from some customers of The Drink Talking
‘Your knowledge, wit and enthusiasm make it so special’ Rothschild Bank, Guernsey
‘Your personality and voice are captivating and the sessions are fun and relaxed, it's like being down the pub having a laugh and a chat but learning at the same time. Audience participation is key, you encourage people to share their experiences and join in’ Anna Egerton, York
‘She makes the events interesting; each time is different and she is quickly able to develop relationships and rapport with each and every one of us. She is an absolute joy!’ The Honourable Keith Colwell, Minister of Agriculture, Canada
The Drink Talking is proudly in association with Riedel